The English surname Scarisbrick, also found as Scarsbrick, Scarsbrook,
Scarasbrick and Scarrisbrick, is local in origin, belonging to that
category of surnames derived from the name of the place where an
original bearer dwelt or where he once held land
In this instance, therefore, the surname signifies simply "(descendant
of) one who hails from Scarisbrick", this being the name of a township
in the Lancashire parish of Ormskirk, in what was formerly known as the
West Derby Hundred.
The place name itself comes from the Old Norse, and literally "(the
Norseman called) Skar's hill-slope.
Scarisbrick appears to have been a village of some size during the
thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, being first mentioned c.1200, with
first person known to have had a bye-name derived from it being Gilbert
de Scaresbrec in the early thirteenth century. Succeeded by his son
Walter, his family continued to hold Scarisbrick for centuries to come,
and the historian Richard McKinley notes that "Most, and possibly all,
the people named Scarisbrick found in Lancashire during the Middle Ages
were members of the land-owning family" (The Surnames of Lancashire,
English Surnames Series, IV).
Reference to the name after this date include one to Thomas Scarysbrig,
Doctor of Divinity registered at the University of Oxford in 1508, and
one to the marriage of Anthony Scarisbrick, mercer of London, to Jane
Glascocke in 1615.
The surname did not in fact become prolific until the late sixteenth
century, when it multiplied in the parish of Ormskirk, spreading from
there, albeit in small numbers, to the neighbouring parishes, such as
Halsall and West Derby:
Finally, it is interesting to note that when it reached London, the name
became Scarysbrig, and also that it was among the first surnames to
reach the New World, a list of passengers on the ship Paul, bound for
St. Christopher's out of London in April, 1635, included one William
1881 Census details on local residents with the name Scarisbrick click here
It is believed that the Scarisbrick Coat of Arms below was granted to
Sir Henry de Scarisbrick who fought at Agincourt and died in 1420.
Gules three mullets in bend between two bendlets engrailed
A dove sable beaked and legged gules holding in the beak an olive branch