has always played an important role in the community of Scarisbrick.
In the earliest times people travelled to Ormskirk or Burscough Priory
to worship or bury their dead. As many as 18 wayside crosses
existed on the routes as resting places for coffins or as wayside
A chapel was established in Scarisbrick Hall in 1447 for the family and
tenants. Throughout the persecution following the Reformation,
many Catholic families retained their faith,
in secret. Following a relaxation of the laws in 1791 allowing the
construction of Catholic chapels, Thomas Eccleston converted a tithe
barn on the site of the present church to the Church of St Mary.
The Marquis of Casteja later engaged Edward Pugin to design St
Elizabeth's church, which first opened in 1889.
Members of the Church of England continued to worship at Ormskirk until
the church of St Marks was built by public subscription in 1851 at the
corner of Jacksmere Lane on a site donated by Charles Scarisbrick.
In 1907 the Good Shepherd
Mission was built at Hurlston Green to serve parishioners in the eastern
part of the parish. The free churches were served by visiting
clergy preaching in private houses until Drummersdale Mission was opened
in 1832 on an initiative of Richard Sephton, a local Congregationalist.
The mission is still thriving today.
The first Wesleyan chapel in Scarisbrick was founded on the corner of
Pinfold Lane in 1849, but this closed before 1871 and was incorporated
into the present school. After the outbreak of the First World
War, services were held in private houses, and with the help of the
Southport Church the Bescar Lane Methodist Church was built in 1924.